As a member of an electric co-op, you’re in the unique position to help keep rates low. How? One way is to lower your energy use during summer peak hours.
Peak hours take place on certain days in the months of June through September between 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. when CEC’s demand peaks. Peak Alerts take place on weekdays when we experience the highest temperatures.
Peak usage (demand) is the maximum amount of energy used during one specific hour of time. For example, when you turn on the oven and stove, bump the air down a few degrees and throw some laundry in the washer, all while the kids are playing video games and watching TV, you’re demanding energy from at least five different sources at the same time.
If you’re consuming all of this energy during peak hours – when other members are too – that means your co-op also consumes the energy. Limiting your energy use during these hours helps the co-op save and in turn could help keep rates low.
When everyone co-operates, everyone benefits. That’s the power of co-op membership.
- Program your thermostat to an energy-efficient summer setting of 78 degrees.
- Turn off dehumidifiers.
- Turn off swimming pool pumps.
- Avoid doing laundry, running the dishwasher, and using other major appliances.
- Turn off unnecessary lights.
- Cook dinner on the grill or use counter top appliances, like a Crock-Pot, rather than the oven
- Use a smart thermostat to program how and when your home uses energy. You can remotely pre-cool your home and adjust your cooling settings.
- Monitor your daily and hourly energy use online through SmartHub.
- Complete a home energy assessment to determine which parts of your house use the most energy and learn the best ways to cut energy costs.
Sign Up for Peak Day Alerts
CEC will send an email notification the morning of a day when a peak day is expected. Peak Day Alerts occur on weekdays June through September.
Please fill out the following form to be added to our Peak Alert Notifications. This email notification notification is for members of Central Electric Cooperative located in Parker, Pennsylvania.
Thank you for your participation. Together we can keep rates down.